Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an HR Director. I believe I have been instructed by my…

Customer Question
I am an HR...

I am an HR Director. I believe I have been instructed by my HR corporate superiors to violate FMLA regs, and I also full expect (due to what I perceived as a verbal threat) to be disciplined and/or fired for my actions. I was in the process of issuing a corrective action to an exempt employee (per their instruction), requiring him to work 6 days per week and 9 hours per day. As soon as I told him this, he disclosed that he believes he may have cancer, is having a biopsy the next day, "will be pissing blood" and was told he had to take it easy for the following days and he said that he expected to have to miss more work because of it, and would not be able to work 6 days per week/long days. Because of this, I did not have him sign the corrective action, but instead offered to get him FMLA paperwork for his doctor to certify/verify what he was telling me to see he might qualify for FMLA protection. Was I in the wrong, or would I have a case if I am disciplined or terminated for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time, exempt. He is a 20 year member of management.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do believe they will try to discipline or terminate me over this in the coming week. There was a sense of intimidation and bullying.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You might choose to go on and file EEOC complaint here claiming age discrimination and any other classes.If you file prior to termination then you claim retaliation over the firing.This gives you the best protection against firing or if fired retaliation as well.I think this is your next move , you could argue the directives singled you out here for age discrimination and real intent was to get rid of you and replace you with younger worker.

EEOC

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/e790b58fec0746a388a20cd304c0fbc9

If they fire you claim retaliation and file another complaint with EEOC and sue them.

I appreciate the chance to help you today, thanks again and the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Employment Lawyer for you here..

Call Us: You can reach LRIS by phone at(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####(in Dane County and outside of Wisconsin). We are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.