Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I believe i was wrongfully terminated last week... i need…

Customer Question
I believe i was...

I believe i was wrongfully terminated last week... i need some legal council/advice

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this retaliation? Or based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin?

Defamation of character

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

At will

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Under the law, an at will employee may be terminated at any time, with or without cause. The employer doesn't even have to give you a reason. It is only unlawful if you are terminated for an illegal reason, such as because of your race, or religion. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace.And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.

If the employer made false statements about you to a third party or parties and it has caused you damages, you may have a civil suit for defamation (defamation requires that a defendant negligently or intentionally make false statements that cause you harm) and/or invasion of privacy, but it wouldn't necessarily be a wrongful termination.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer