Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

How does someone go about making an anonymous complaint

Customer Question
about inappropriate/sexually harassing behavior of...
How does someone go about making an anonymous complaint about inappropriate/sexually harassing behavior of a co-worker in Fremont, ne?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no one particular way to do this. Usually the best way is to create a disposable email account, such as through Gmail for instance, and send an email to your employer.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Okay but isn't there maybe a labor department or Fair Employment Department there in the state or county that the complaint can be sent to?

Thank you for clarifying. Here is what the EEOC has to say about anonymous complaints:

"If you wish to remain anonymous, we will accept a charge that is filed on behalf of someone else who has been the victim of discrimination. The charge can be filed by a person or an organization. In such cases, we usually don’t tell the employer who the charge was filed on behalf of, but we do tell the employer the name of the person or organization who filed the charge.

In practice, however, it may be difficult to hide the identity of the person who believes they have been the victim of discrimination during the investigation, even though a name is ***** ***** because of the circumstances of the charge."

I bolded that last part because the EEOC makes a good point. Since any complaint would be alleging misconduct directed toward a specific employee, the employer will usually just assume that the employee was the one who filed it because people don't tend to file anonymous complaints on behalf of others without even consulting with the victim themselves.

The good news is that it is illegal to retaliate against an employee for filing an EEOC complaint, and any adverse employment action which you can link to the filing of your complaint with give rise to an entirely separate legal claim for damages.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Was there anything else I can do for you? If not, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer