Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I just got off the phone with Michigan dept. of labor....

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hi. How can I...
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I just got off the phone with Michigan dept. of labor.... and was told that MICHGIGAN's own labor laws do N
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: do NOT cover it's own state employees.... that I'd have to contact the US dept. of labor...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work at a state prison where they are NOT paying the "hourly" employees/ correct officers properly. Theyt claim that one has to have late relief/ punch out at least 30 minutes late to get paid overtime
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
full time-0 yes, there's a union that sucks... but does say they owe us every 6 minutes that we are on the clock. and gov. snyder made michigan an "at will state"....
even with your answers... what good are you going to do me if/when a lawsuit is filed for the employer stealing our money???
would you be able to recommend any "pro-bono" employment attorneys?" in MICHIGAN?
I work for the Michigan dept of corrections
No answer? I think I stumped you!
8/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the FLSA, the employer must pay overtime for any time worked over 40 hours in a week and the employer can round the time only to the quarter hour (15 mins). See 29 CFR § 785.48(b). So the employer cannot require an employee to work an extra 30 minutes without pay. They can require them to work less than 7.5 minutes but anything over that must be rounded to the nearest quarter hour.
We cannot make personal referrals to any attorneys, including pro bono attorneys. Many private attorneys who handle these cases do not do "pro bono" meaning FREE, but they will take this case on a contingency fee basis, since for a violation of the FLSA you can collect attorney's fees as part of your damages. Also, to file a complaint with the US Department of Labor you do not need an attorney. For willful and malicious violation of the FLSA, you can collect triple damages, for regular violations you can collect double damages as liquidated damages pursuant to the law.
So you need to go get a local private employment attorney and most will take your case on a contingency fee basis.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
where on the web-site is this information? That was what I was looking for when this popped up...but they will take this case on a contingency fee basis, since for a violation of the FLSA you can collect attorney's fees as part of your damages. Also, to file a complaint with the US Department of Labor you do not need an attorney. For willful and malicious violation of the FLSA, you can collect triple damages, for regular violations you can collect double damages as liquidated damages pursuant to the law.
Where on WHAT WEBSITE is what information?
Also copying and pasting my answer back to me does not help me know what more information you want. I provided you the actual CFR that provides you the information regarding the violation you are claiming.
where would I find this info on the web-site would I find this information? That is what I was looking for when this sight popped up.but they will take this case on contingency fee base, since for a violation of the FLSA you can collect attorney's fee as part
of your damages. Also, to file a complaint with the US Department of Labor you do not need an attorney. For willful and malicious violation of the FLSA , you can collect triple damages, for regular violations you can double damages as
liquidation damages pursuant to the law.
First, attorney's fees are set by attorneys individually, you will not find that on any website.
Second, here is information about the liquidated damages for FLSA violations 29 USC 216: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/29/216
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney