Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What rights do I have against harassment from a co-worker,

Customer Question
What rights do I...

What rights do I have against sexual harassment from a co-worker, that I have never reported and what constitutes sexual harassment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the work environment intimidating, hostile, or abusive?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The co-worker has always made remarks to me like, hello hottie or I bet you were a real hottie when you were younger, and most of the time has addressed me by sweetheart rather than by name.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

The first thing you need to know about peer on peer or coemployee sexual harassment, is that the employer does not have liability for unless and until the employee reports harassment of the employer (usually through a manager) or the employer knew or should have known about it given the circumstances. Once the employer learns about it, the employer has a duty to investigate and remediate the harassment.

Sexual harassment generally consists of unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature. Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general. Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex. Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

In your case if it hasn't been reported to management or management would have no way of knowing about it otherwise, I would suggest you make the report as soon as possible. An investigation should then take place and a remedy issued against the harassing employee. If this doesn't occur you then have a sexual harassment claim against the employer and can file a charge with the EEOC and file a lawsuit.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

John, Employment Lawyer