Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

In Indiana, can I be terminated while I am on medical

Customer Question

in Indiana, can I be terminated while I am on medical leave,(under aa doctors care)?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I received notice of termination on Friday after I had mandatory surgery on Monday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, My co required that I have a new DOT physical before returning to work, I went to a DOT qualified Dr in the same building as the serguon. Now they are claiming that I must see their DOT dr. do I have to.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: My DOT rules state that any DOT qualified Dr may give a valid Physical exam, Why do I need to see their Dr. which is a chiropractor, not an ND
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.what is their reason for the termination?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
since I had surgery, I could not work until released again by doctor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also, am I required to see a company Dr for a new DOT physical, or may I see my own DOT qualified dr?
You should comply with their requests. They cannot retaliate or discriminate for medical or discriminatory reasons. If they do you can take legal action!
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am off work, unemployed, I can"t affore another $59.00
Chat is fine. No need for all.
Is my reply acceptable?