Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had to retire at age 55 (worked 30 years as an RN) due to…

Customer Question
I had to retire at...
I had to retire at age 55 (worked 30 years as an RN) due to disability. The hospital I have the pension with filed chapter 13 and now PBGC is handling our pensions. My Pension was set up $1000 for life, but PBGC is only giving me $547. They list all types of guarantees, but when comes down to it, it's just a bunch of fast talking. Any advice?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the PBGC rules, they have a cap set by the US Government. So, if your plan is taken over by the PBGC, they have benefit guarantees up to a certain amount. If they are giving you less than the maximum cap amount, then you could file suit against the PBGC for denying your claim for increase, but if you are at the maximum amount for your plan type, legally they could not give you more even if they wanted to give you more.
You can, if you believe they have miscalculated your benefit, appeal the denial of the review committee to the court and sue them for the additional benefit.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
what type of lawyer would I get?

Thank you for your reply.
You would use an employee benefits attorney locally.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney