Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am being terminated by the Windham, the prison school

Customer Question
district. I am 71...
I am being terminated by the Windham, the prison school district. I am 71 and believe this is age discrimination among other things. A lawyer through my legal organization wants me to resign. I may need unemployment and feel that if I resign I will not be able to get unemployment until I find something else.
JA: Was the discrimination based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin?
Customer: Originally no, I have taught for 40 years without a complaint until this principal. Filing an EECO but what I need to know right now is about the unemployment.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: I was full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Maybe later but this is what I need right now. They sent me a letter of termination with ten days to appeal. I thought as did everyone else who read it except a lawyer that it was appealing my job to stay employed. Never would I do that in this situation. The time has expired and they are now saying I could have appealed the termination. I do not have the money for a lawyer at this time. My main concern is filing for unemployment until I find something out.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley
What you can do is try to contact your employer to ensure that if you do file for unemployment they will not fight it. Many times employers will not fight someone's claim for unemployment compensation.
if you are Union I would also contact the Union to see if they can help you with regards ***** ***** matter
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer