Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

Can a retired Chicago Public School teacher go back to work

Customer Question

Can a retired Chicago Public School teacher go back to work in an Illinois school not CPS or charter school without penalty? And is it just better to start over with the new system rather than trying to "combine" the two systems and leave the first pension alone?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: It was discussed with the pension fund at Chicago, which couldn't give me an answer.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: full time, but not in Chicago or a charter school, where it would have to be "limited" and I would have to sign a "return to work" sheet because I am returning to the same system I retired from.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I know others who have retired from CPS and then gone on and taught at other schools outside the city or vice versa, come into the city, but don't know if that has all tightened up now with all the pension brouhaha. Plus I wouldn't want to "change" the existing pension b/c it is a different fund with different money, that I had to already pay for my self because I bout all of my first 9.33 years from the Ohio system.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Sorry, that is "bought". I am not paying attention to what this thing is doing.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Is the pension fully earned and vested?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What does fully earned and vested mean??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I am okay with you writing. I worked 23.33 years and I am now beyond full retirement age. I had to buy my years from Ohio because I moved after my first nine+ years to Chicago and took out the money from the Ohio system so bought it back when I retired from Chicago using my 403 b funds
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you going to give me any more of a response besides just asking me a question and then not answering that when i ask you to explain? That isn't an answer.
You can rejoin and work again.
Vested pension benefit must be paid. You are entitled to statements of balance if unsure.
My apologies for the delay.
Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I just leave my Chicago pension as is and "start over" in the Illinois state system (which is a completely separate fund), and then if I work long enough in that one just have 2 little pensions at the end?? I know I would have to work at least 10 years to get any pension from Illinois state schools, unless those numbers have gone even higher now with all the "pension reform."
I would first confirm your balance in writing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a "balance." I am receiving a pension every month. I had a balance when I was buying the years back from Ohio, but I paid all that before I could ever retire in the first place.
By balance I mean total earned
Out of which you are getting distributions.
Is that clearer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but I don't think that is how the pension is based in CPS. They offered me the whole lump sum up front if I wanted it when I first retired and if that was my "balance" I have already pulled all of that of the fund and I am still getting a pension. It isn't like the pension is going to end when a certain balance runs out, unless it just does in general for everyone because the whole fund goes bankrupt.
There is a current value and also continuing payments.
Neither affected if you take another position.
Awaiting your reply, thanks.