Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work in ny state was told my 31 dollar an hr supervisor…

Customer Question
i work in ny state...
i work in ny state was told my 31 dollar an hr supervisor job has been eliminated the day after i got picked to be on a jury .then i got a offer same company for a 22 per hr tech job on midnight shift that i turned down before i got hire for supervisor... i think the supervisor job was eliminated just to let me go because i got picked and the other offer was just to stop me from collecting unemployment and cover them. can i do anything and can i collect unemployment if i turn down the offer
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The answer to your question is yes. If you are terminated from a job through no fault of your own, such as your job being eliminated, then you are going to be eligible for unemployment. Also, your NY attorney general say, "Employees who are fired because of their absence from work to fulfill a jury duty obligation should contact the Attorney General for assistance." Employers who fire those on jury duty , "May be found guilty of criminal contempt of court, punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to 30 days in the county jail, or both." I hope this answers your questions.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

even though i was offer a lesser job and turn it down i can still get nys unepolyment?
do you practice in nys

It is possible that if you turn down a job offer then you could lose your eligibility for unemployment. However, it really depends on the number of factors and there's no bright line. Generally, if you have a job offer to be a cashier at McDonald's when you're a top-level executive at Microsoft, then that job offer is not going to be enough to disqualify you from unemployment. It's a fact base call, but you would have to use your common sense to help out. Unfortunately, I don't practice in New York state.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer