Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Returned to work after 4 weeks with a restriction of half…

Customer Question
Returned to work after...

Returned to work after 4 weeks with a restriction of half days (4 hours). Was on FMLA. Returning half days, I'm technically still on FMLA? My boss discussed cutting .5 FTE out of a department I managed. He planned on cutting my manager position to a .25, giving .25 to someone else. Can he talk to me about this while on FMLA? They did proceed with this plan once my 12 weeks of FMLA was completed.

Lawyer's Assistant: How many employees are there? Is there an employee or relative with a serious health condition?

This was my own condition, a near death experience and hospitalized 10 days, the very same hospital in which I worked. I managed 15.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

Full time, not for profit hospital. I am an RN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I returned to full time FML A. Completing short term disability this week. Applying for longing term disability. Boss felt I could perform my managerial tasks one day per week. No discussion of what I would do. I had no idea about this until I returned. He did not inquire about me, just strarted with his,plan. The hospital was looking at reducing FTEs to make 110% of Medicare. I learn d this during the same meeting I was an employee 31 years of my 40 years as a nurse.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

FMLA does not prohibit changing your employment or even terminating the employment. It prohibits any changes because you apply or take FMLA, but if the employer has a reason for taking action unrelated to the FMLA then it is not illegal or prohibited.

If you believe the action was taken due to the FMLA then you may have a cause of action for that violation and can receive money damages.

If you are going to file an action for violation of the FMLA rights it is strongly recommended you retain an attorney to represent you. It is not something you want to pursue pro se.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

MARTINDALE HUBBLE

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer