Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

When a cba expires and the parties are negotiating a new one

Customer Question

when a cba expires and the parties are negotiating a new one are the partirs bound by the old cba?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: yes
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

The answer is no. Once the CBA has expired, it is no longer in effect, meaning there is no CBA in place until/unless a new one is agreed upon, or, the old one is renewed.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.