Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an employer in Michigan with an employee on retricted…

Customer Question
I am an employer in...
I am an employer in Michigan with an employee on retricted work due to a workers comp claim. Dr may be removing those restrictions soon. I was unable to keep his regular position open due to the nature of our business (contract with FedEx to deliver pkgs ever day). His temporary position is helping me in the office, but when restrictions are lifted, I do not want to continue that. I offered him the temporary position to help curb wc costs. Can I lay him off after restrictions are lifted? Will his wc wage benefits be re-instated if I do?Thanks, Sandy
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 9 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

If he has restrictions lifted, in other words he can do is full time position, then you can lay him off. The trick however is twofold – one) it's illegal in Michigan to terminate someone for making a work comp claim. So you need to have a legitimate business reason to terminate him because, if you don't, he'll have a strong chance of making a case against you. Two) even though he's put back at full duty by the doctor, he can still challenge that by filing an application for hearing or even down the line sometime if the condition is reaggravated he can attempt to reopen the claim. So, you don't really get out of the claim by laying him off, and you may be opening yourself up to a retaliation lawsuit by laying him off. That's not to say that you can't lay him off, but you should have a legitimate business reason to do so and be aware that he may continue to claim because of the injury.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

John, Employment Lawyer