Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am working for Freds as a pharmacist. Yesterday, my HR and…

Customer Question
Hi, i am working...

Hi, i am working for Freds as a pharmacist. Yesterday, my HR and district manager approach me and said that they have hours cut, they will cut my full time position to part time if i dont take an every Saturday position and drive 1 hour one way 2 days a week to keep my full time position. They have other store that is close to me that has opening and short on pharmacist. I fill like they want me to quit my job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

My manager has no idea why. i have not talk to Attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

For my understand, they been trying to look for a pharmacist in the area for so long, cant find one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They had offered my partner $70 and hour to be PIC at the pharmacy they want to send me. She turned down because too far from her house when i first started with them 2015 , they offered me $5 more to drive there, but i turned them down

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.
Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?2. Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?
i dont have written agreement, i have been a full time employer for 2 years. They couldn/t find a worker for that area. i feel like they force me to go to place no one wanna go
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels on this.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer