Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My daughter got fired because they said she undercharged on…

Customer Question
My daughter got...

My daughter got fired because they said she undercharged on 3 drinks in a month's time at a coffee shop, they told her they're keeping her final paycheck because the consider it thrift.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

No they called her at her other job and told her over the phone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

Part time coffee stand

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She said they made her sigh a typed letter staying if they first her for what they consider stealing they can keep her last check. I don't believed it's legal so does the paper have any weigh to it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.On review of your facts, she has a good case.There is no basis to withhold pay for any reason. Doing so violates the fair labor standards act aka FLSA.She can pursue it. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Infolawyer, Lawyer