Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My job was elimated in house and outsourced for several

Customer Question
years and then brought back...
My job was elimated in house and outsourced for several years and then brought back in. I was given a substainial pay decrease. Now my company is bringing the position back in but not asking me if I am interested although I was reviewed with exceptional results during the time I was in that position. Is this legal?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been working for the same company for 19 plus years. It is non-union
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, employment in MO is deemed at will unless you have some written employment contract or union contract to the contrary. If your employment is at will, I am afraid the employer has discretion as to who to promote, demote, hire or fire and they can do so for no reason or for any reason that is not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and you would have no other rights to the position.
In order to have any claim, you would need evidence that the only reason you were not offered the job back was ONLY because of your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. Without such evidence, you would not have any claim against the employer. With such evidence, you would file a complaint to the EEOC and they would have to investigate and grant you a right to sue letter to proceed to court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney