Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I retired about 6 years ago; and prior to retiring I was…

Customer Question
I retired about 6...

I retired about 6 years ago; and prior to retiring I was subjected to abuse and discrimination which resulted, eventually, in my left foot toes being amputated and a long hospital stay(about a year) Is it too late for a lawsuit

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the discrimination based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin?

Race and age

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I didn't pursue this at the time because of illness

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question, unfortunately, is probably yes. Generally, you can file a complaint with the EEOC for race and age based discrimination. Also, filing a charge is a legal prerequisite to filing a lawsuit. You must file a charge within 180 days of the discriminatory act; this time limit is extended to 300 days if your state or local government also has a law prohibiting race discrimination (as noted above, most do). For wrongful termination (contract) disputes, then you usually have 4 years from the time it occurred. At this rate, it may be too late. I’m very sorry.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?