Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

When asked on an employment application if you have ever

Customer Question

When asked on an employment application if you have ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor - is a minor misdemeanor the same as a misdemeanor, or is it a lesser charge that does not have to be disclosed?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR?
Customer: No - it was a question on an application for a grad school clinical that was arranged by my grad school. I was already assigned to the clinical, but I was sent this paperwork to complete before my start date.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: The clinical is for 8 weeks (38 hours per week), and it is unpaid. It is part of a 3 year grad school program. I am a full time grad student.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also want to know if the minor misdemeanor must be disclosed on the application for the clinical site (a hospital), and if a minor misdemeanor would show up on background checks or FBI checks.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Legally it is still a misdemeanor. It needs to be disclosed. If not disclosed and turns up on their check they can terminate.
Consider retaining counsel to have it erased or expunged.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up

awaiting your reply, thanks.