Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I signed an education payment agreement for a conference

Customer Question

I signed an education payment agreement for a conference that I attended for my then employer. It was signed on 2/3/2016 and the conference was in 4/2016 and my last day of employment was on 4/15/2017. They want me to repay the conference/travel fees in the amount of $2070.40 by 8/31/2017. Do I have any recourse? These courses are required by the "staff person with the accreditation" by an accrediting body and I was the person who was certified in that field. The fact that I attended still counts on their books as attending for their institution and they won't have to send anyone again for 3 yrs.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: IL but I worked for IA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They sent me a cerified letters
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I see no basis for the repayment. They never objected to your attending, and allowed you to go. The amount is not large enough for them to pursue beyond a letter, as a lawsuit is more expensive. No contractual basis for their claim. I would not be concerned.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
could you write up a letter for me to send to them?

I would not write them anything yet. I would contact the other parent in writing and demand honor the commitment and if needed file in court. The school is not going to care about who is responsible, and expect you to pursue it between you.

In other words, the school just wants to be paid, so you need to pursue the parent by letter and if needed court. A local lawyer can pursue that for you!!

Is my answer fast and clear? I tried to expedite for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This wasn't a school... I was employed at a hospital. The hospital wants me to reimburse them for the education that I attended for their accrediation.

and they have no legal right to demand it unless you agreed to repay it in writing in advance.

They could have blocked you from attending but did not. They have no claim whatsoever against you.

I hope that is clear, feel free to follow up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I stated in my first question, I signed a education payment agreement. What do you think? I can send it to you if you want to see it
Please load it and I can review
Education payment agreements are normally not pursued or enforced by companies because very expensive to sue even if you agreed to pay for it at all.
I can review still of course
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here it is
the agreement calls for repayment. However the company is not likely to pursue it. You therefore can choose to ignore or negotiate for a reduced amount.
As mentioned such claims are rarely pursued beyond letters due to cost of litigation.
Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up