Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been working for a company and had an employment

Customer Question
I have been working...

I have been working for a company and had an employment contract. In the contract it says if they sell the company I get 2 years salary and benefits. I only get one year for downsizing. The company entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with another company and gives them the rights to sales and service of all of our products in the US. Now they are letting me go and I want to know that being the company cannot sell any of it's products in the US doesn't that have the same effect legally of selling the company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

The owner of the company signed my agreement and we do not have an HR department. It is a small company. I have not spoken to an attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

It full time but either party could end the employment but with the conditions in the contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the company is still owned by the original owners, then entering into an exclusive distribution contract is not selling the company, it would be downsizing, since they no longer have need for as many sales reps because of the exclusive distribution agreement. They did not sell the company, they still retain control and can still dictate to the exclusive distributor under contract with them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
I was charged $47 it was supposed to be 5. What is the deal. I wanted the trial. It it is not refunded I am calling paypal and reversing the charges.

Thank you for your reply. Experts do not know anything about the site arrangements, we are independent users of this site like you are.

You posted your question, we provided the service you requested and gave you the legal information you sought, that is all the experts know as we are not site employees.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney