Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have a question related to unemployment benefits in the

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, JA: What state are...
Hi Pearl,
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have a question related to unemployment benefits in the state of CT and then working as an independent contractor. Can you assist me?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: No I contacted the Dept of Labor for CT and was approved for unemployment benefits two months ago. I am currently pursuing a real estate license and want to know how tat will affect my unemployment benefits since I am not currently making money.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: The self employment will be full-time once I have my license and can begin as a real estate agent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I live in NY now and got married last year. I moved to Long Island in January but was consistently employed in CT for 26 years with no gap in employment. CT is paying me unemployment benefits even as an out of state person because of my full-time employment history.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

As part of your unemployment must have proof of job search efforts. I know you are seeking a real estate license. Thus, technically if you are not pursuing a job (i.e., sending out resumes and filling out applications), then you are not supposed to get benefits. However, nothing says you have to get the jobs for which you are applying. In other words, while I would not admit this to unemployment, you can just fill out applications etc. with no intent of taking a job to be able to prove your job search and you will still get benefits. Once you get your position as a real estate agent, you can also continue to collect benefits until you earn remuneration – i.e. make your first sale. You have to report income for each week you earn it, which then disqualifies you from benefits for that week.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer