ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it against the law in Maryland for a manager to discuss

Customer Question

Is it against the law in Maryland for a manager to discuss an employees age with other employees when the person is not in the group?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: I found out that my age was known by other employees and when I asked the manager how the employee knew, his response was _ I did not know you were sensitive about your age -
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: full time same as me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel I am being targeted because of my age there are only 4 people in the office and no matter what Its my fault because I am the mewest
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally speaking, no, it's not illegal, unless there's information that is confidential as a matter of law. You see, Maryland is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

Now while age is a protected category, it only extends to "adverse employment actions" (such as firing, demotions, not promoting, etc... due to age). Simply discussing age is not something that is illegal. Immoral, unethical, illogical maybe, but not illegal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!