Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked as a live in nanny in California for the last 4…

Customer Question
Hello, I worked as...

Hello, I worked as a live in nanny in California for the last 4 years. i was fired and am being pressured to sign an independent contractor settlement. I am not a US citizen nor is the family i worked for. I was paid in another country.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

We have no contract i was live in and worked 24/7

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The parent was frequently out of the country for weeks/months at a time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

A live-in nanny is NOT an independent contractor. A live-in nanny is an employee of the family who hired her. It appears that this family who hired you is trying to cover its tracks of not paying you as an employee and the responsibilities that came with it such as paying for payroll taxes. So, you must not sign the contract after the fact. The pressure being put on you is illegal. You can report the family to California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,

I worked for a billionaire who left me and her child alone for long periods while she traveled the world. I often had to pay for the child's food, medical and educational expenses as I was not provided with sufficient funds. When I was fired I was tossed to the street and now she is holding my personal belongings and last paycheck. I need legal representation asap in Los Angeles. Can you help?

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, I am not in California. Also, this site does not offer legal representation. However, you can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle employment issues to assist you with. Y

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

You should still file complaint with California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law