Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a problem employee who has been given multiple

Customer Question
warnings; the last one being...
I have a problem employee who has been given multiple warnings; the last one being right before the weekend, on Monday she didn't show up to work claiming back ach, then today she didn't show up either claiming she had a backache and a doctors note. The employee has no sick days and has exhausted all her vacation days. I want to fire her because I am weary of her attaempting some sort of fraud. Can I fire her while she is out or do I have to wait for her to return? What's the best approach?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/2/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. If the employee does not qualify for FMLA and they are out of sick leave and any other leave that can be used for sickness, and you have not given them the right to even more warnings, then you can terminate her based on attendance. It doesn't matter if an employee is at work or not, an employer can terminate them no matter where they are as long as the employer is not violating a contract, FMLA, or discrimination laws.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 2nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer