Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I like to know in the state of florida. Who is considered

Customer Question

I like to know in the state of florida. Who is considered salaried employees?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I don't have an employment agreement . It was verbally.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes , do we have to pay overtime on a salaried employee?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The state of FL really does not define who an employer can make a salary employee. There are federal guidelines that an employer must meet IF they decide to make an employee a salary employee. The federal rules are that the employee must make at least $24,600 per year and must be a supervisory employee, a professional employee (one requiring a special license), a purely administrative employee or a computer IT professional.
So, in order for an employer to choose to make an employee salary, they must fit into one of those categories and must make that minimum salary.
If an employee is truly a salary employee, then they can be made to work as many hours as the employer requires to do their jobs WITHOUT any overtime.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.