Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My former boss told the Human Resources that I had a tough…

Customer Question
My former boss told...

My former boss told the Human Resources that I had a tough year and had sought professional help. This was on the last day of school.Now he wants a letter saying I am fit to return to work. I have been working there for 32 years,without any problems

Lawyer's Assistant: What's the purpose of the letter? To whom is it being written?

I am a teacher that needs to know if Human Resources can legally require that they can make me get a letter from my doctor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

Union,full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Human Resource director was rude and made me feel threatened. No letter don't come back to work.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
I have never had any disciplinary issues or actions in my 32 year tenure. I'm very upset that my personal conversation with my boss started this fiasco.
8/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
N Cal Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

I think the best course of action is to humor them, regardless of your legal rights. You can ask your union representative what the union recommends, but I think you could spend more money on lawyers fighting this than you can earn in a year, and there is no guarantee of success. In general an employer who has doubts about the fitness of an employee can insist on a note from a doctor clearing the employee for work.

I am sorry this may not be the answer you had hoped for, but I have to give my honest opinion.

I hope this information is helpful.

I understand your answer, but 2 doctors said they have no right for this letter, especially since I have been following my treatment.
You're the expert.

Which State is this in?