Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I signed a contract with a sign on bonus with the term of…

Customer Question
I signed a contract...

I signed a contract with a sign on bonus with the term of repayment of 2 years if you leave the job. I left the job before the time was out because of the work environment and the lack of support and training i got in order to perform my job competently. Could i fight the contract due to the fact of the work environment cost me money and did not support my sales efforts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

HR

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was also put on a 30 day plan which i saw and heard was a threat to my employment.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Contracts of this nature are generally enforced. In order to successfully defend enforcement, you'd generally have to establish that no reasonable person would have stayed in the position. This is a rather high standard that would probably require more than a lack of adequate support and training. You could certainly use this argument as leverage to negotiate a repayment plan or a reduced repayment, but the odds of successfully defending a lawsuit on this basis are probably not that great.

Please understand that I could falsely tell you otherwise to give you good news, but that would be a tremendous disservice to you, and would be reckless on my part. You are here for honest information and not to be patronized so I do trust you'll appreciate my candor.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

I also have proof that the manager had it in for me and wanted to get rid of me. I am also in medical sales during medical procedures where I am suppose to be an expert in the equipment. The company did not provide me with the training necessary to assist the doctor and continuously was put in positions where I had no support and patients lives were in the balance. I also became ill from the position and was hospitalized a coulpe times. So there is a lot more to the story even with the more details given you feel it is a battle best to walk away from?

If I'm being honest, yes, it's probably a battle best to walk away from. The bot***** *****ne is that you agreed to repay if you resigned and you resigned. Most employees do not resign without a very good reason for doing so, but if a good reason was enough to nullify your contract then contracts of this sort would be meaningless.

An additional consideration is that even if you could successfully defend against the lawsuit, you would probably need to retain a lawyer to do so and the process would take a year or more. So, you could "win" in the sense that the lawsuit is defeated by wind up spending a significant amont of time and money in that process. This must be factored into any decision regarding what to do.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Please let me know....