Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is it ok for a supervisor to go into another office and take…

Customer Question
Is it ok for...

Is it ok for a supervisor to go into another office and take a note off of that supervisor office and give it to the administrator so she an use it against another employee to get her fired the note had the dietary bosses name on it not the t w o that took it

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I reported it but have not heard anything from the com. Yet t was fired on hear say I was there for 25 year's

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I had no verbal or written warnings at all the administrator didn't even let my boss say a thing my boss was surprised as much as I was I new that o n e of the girls wanted me out of there because she wanted to be the boss I feel I was bullied by them and the administrator I have had some health issues because I fell there a few years ago but all the paper work was lost so I could not prove it so I get to suffer now with no insurance because I lost that when I was fired

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It's very unfortunate, but employment in the state of Illinois is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

So, it would not be illegal to terminate an employee based on the circumstances you have described. What you'd need is some sort of evidence that this stated reason for termination was nothing more than a fabricated pretense to conceal your employer's true motive of a legally protected trait or activity as defined above.

For instance, if a lot of derogatory comments have recently been made about how old you are and if you are replaced by someone younger, the argument could be made that your employer's true motivation was your age. If you can make that sort of case, then your first step would be to file an administrative complaint with the EEOC. The EEOC will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will enable you to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney.

But again, without evidence of this sort of ulterior motive, I'm afraid to say that your only recourse would typically be to apply for unemployment benefits and move forward in seeking new work. I am very sorry.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

No still not happy

I understand that you are not happy, but please understand that my goal is to answer your question, irrespective of whether the news is good or bad. I could mislead you with false information for the sake of making you happy, but that would be insulting and unfair to you. Hopefully you can appreciate my candor.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer