Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there anyone in this category that could answer questions…

Customer Question
Is there anyone in this...
Is there anyone in this category that could answer questions as to how working in Illinois would affect Social Security Disability benefits?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. How much money are you earning from work? Does your state pay any portion of your disability benefits?

My relative believes its Federal Social Security Disability...no state assistance. He hasn't started working yet....he's wondering how much he can earn per month without losing benefits and for how long...if there's a 3 year period or he can continue earning indefinitely.

Do you know if he is on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)? If he is on SSDI, he should be able to earn up to $1,170 per month without affecting his disability income (there are some exceptions that could potentially allow him to make more than that).

If he is on SSI, then basically, they will reduce his disability payments by 50% for every dollar he makes (although they do exclude the first $85 of disability payments from this calculation).