Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Second opinion] I am 60 years old. I work for a non-profit…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am 60 years old. I work for a non-profit organization. They have terminated several of my co-workers in the last month. I am concerned that I may be next. I have my resume out, but have not found anything yet. I know that will be difficult at my age, but need to continue working.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

Would it be better for me to get fired or to resign my job?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have been written up one time, but that was 3 years ago.. We get three write-ups.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what if it would be better to resign first without a job or to let then terminate me.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Generally, if you voluntarily resign you will most likely not be eligible for unemployment benefits. Unless your company offers you a good severance package, it is probably not beneficial to resign.

However, if you are fired for good cause, you may not be eligible for unemployment benefits, either.