LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was terminated from my job because I tried to correct an

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job because I tried to correct an unsafe work envirment
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I went to a counselor because of verbal abuse from my supervisor
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Nebraska is an at-will state. What this means is that an employer can terminate you for any reason, as long as there is no enforceable oral or written contract in place guaranteeing your employment for a specified length of time. However, that reason cannot be an illegal reason. If you believe that you have been demoted or terminated based on your race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, disability, age or religion, you may have a claim for harassment or discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, or the Nebraska Fair Employment Practices Act. Moreover, if you were verbally abused, you could have an issue and do want to speak with an employment law attorney, who can determine if there is a basis to sue, based upon the harassment in the work place.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I am not able to take a call but another expert can assist shortly. Please allow a few moments.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!