Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was verbally offered a job. We talked rate of pay and

Customer Question
I was verbally offered...

I was verbally offered a job. We talked rate of pay and possible starting day

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

I verbally I was offered a job. by the mamanger of the department, We talked rate of pay and possible strating date No written email was sent to me comftiming the job Do I have the job or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

State of Il, no uniform part time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
The person that is the head of the business and we have spoken about the job but reason is being given about written confirmation of the job
7/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question, although I am unclear on what the underlying issue is. Obviously, we wouldn't know whether or not you have a job with the employer and thus you would have to ask them. But, if you are asking if you have some sort of contractual right to a job since you were given a verbal offer, then the answer is no. Employment in Illinois, as in most states, is "at will" unless there is a written term contract signed by all parties or a union bargaining agreement that says otherwise. That means that an employer may always withdraw an offer or employment, or let someone go once they have hired them, for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning.

The only exception to this general rule, other than the contractual exceptions I mentioned, is that the employer cannot refuse to hire someone, or terminate them once they are hired, in violation of anti-discrimination laws. Otherwise, they are free to do so anytime for any other reason.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to let me know that I covered your question and also to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to discuss the law of your issue with you, then the Site will give me credit for working with you today. Thank you.

Confused, but I understand the answer. So why would the person give me the information ?

If you mean offering you a job verbally, I can't really say why this particular employer didn't follow through, if that is the situation. I can though tell you some general reasons why verbal offers of work don't turn into a permanent position. Those include things like a change in the employer's needs, one hand (manager) not knowing what the other hand is doing (meaning someone else offered the same job to someone else or the senior management changed their mind), background check issues, and the like.

The best thing for you to try if the employer is telling you that you no longer have the job and just to respectfully ***** ***** why they changed their mind.

On the application I checked the box I have a disability. The disability is N Stage Renal failure. I am on dialysis three times a week but the dialysis does not interfere with the work schedule and I have a good history on not missing work

Alright, well I don't know if you have a question that goes along with those facts, but if you believe that your disability was why you weren't hired, you can file a discrimination complaint under the ADA with the EEOC and also sit down with a local employment law attorney to discuss the details of your case. But first, I would recommend that you actually ask them why they decided not to hire you. Then you have a point of reference for making your decision and also providing information to the EEOC or attorney should you still believe you weren't hired because of your disability.