Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I quit my teaching position at a day care facility due to a…

Customer Question
Hello, I quit my...

Hello, I quit my teaching position at a day care facility due to a health issue. Before quitting I had reported the center to fire marshal for locking fire escape gate. My boss became difficult. I was tardy. When I quit I said I would return at end of school year to collect my teaching materials. I arranged through email to get them in two weeks. Boss continued calling me and leavin messages which I ignored. Yesterday I opened an email he sent me earlier this week. It stated that he would be disposing of my items to good will or salvation army if he didn't hear back from me by end of day.mi emailed back saying I hope he hadn't done this and that I had a surgical procedure done this week and would like to pick up next week. I haven't heard back. My items are a lot of teaching materials both store bought and hand made. I fear he has thrown them out. What should I do? I have many recorded messages from when I was out sick and he is really not nice in he messages, I think he is a bully and I'm relieved to not be working there anymore.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?

Virginia. I left my job in late May. The Friday at the beginning of the Fourth of July he left a phone message. Around July 14, I emailed him and said iwould collect my teaching materials on July 29. I then received phine messages (which I ignored) and an email asking me to pick up earlier. Yesterday I opened an email he sent in TUESDAY, July 25 and he wrote that if he or the owner didn't hear back from me by the close of business on that day,meh would be donating my things that day to Good will,or Salvation Army.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has been an intimidating manager and I am concerned because these are my career teaching materials, both store bought and self made.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You have a case for compensation based on the harassment and have evidence to prove it.

You should proceed with having an employment lawyer draft a letter and negotiate terms. martindale.com and avvo.com are good directory resources. Kindly let me know if that is clear.

awaiting your reply, and feel free to follow up if you wish

Tina, Lawyer