Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I has given notice to my manager that I was planning on

Customer Question
retiring, which was discussed at...
I has given notice to my manager that I was planning on retiring, which was discussed at the time I was hired. It was to be a 1-year time frame as I was transfered from one location to another, both owned by the same ownership group. I was the Chief Engineer at an office tower and started to get my pension documents submitted, I notified the property manager of my intent to retire. They asked if I would start up their newest property and set up their engineering department. We agreed it would take about a year. I relocated and fulfilled the tasks we discussed, for more than 1-1/2 years. I met with my manager and notified him that I had decided to retire. The reason for the meeting was to see if there was anything more they wanted me to complete. Our first annual fire alarm testing was growing near and I was the only one who has experienced these tests. They were worried so we discussed that my departure would be in a couple months and Oct 1st was the target. After a couple weeks I was called in the office and told to leave at the end of that week. It was on a Tuesday that I was told that. The employee handbook requires a two-week notice which I intended to honor. My final check did not include resignation period pay. Were they supposed to include that?
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: It was only an oral discussion. They asked me to come to work to build there dreams and I agreed. They asked about the time-frame when I decided to retire and Oct 1st was discussed and they directed me on what to concentrate on. It was only orally.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: At will. At the first location, it was a union shop and I retired from the union after 38-years. That is when they asked if I would be interested in helping them at the second address. It is non-union. I took the official month off and received permission from the pension plan to work there.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, it is just unsettling cause there was no reason to do that. Up to the end of the last day, I had all of my access in place meaning I could roam free within the property. I had full network access to use all programs, even purchasing was available. Nobody even checked me out when I left. So there was no security risk, no threat to sabotage. It actually put me in a bad financial situation. Really a slap in the face.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your mistreatment.

Could you tell me what state you are located in?

Thank you for your cooperation.

California
Tina, Lawyer