Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Tina I have a question I have a family member that worked…

Customer Question
Hey tina I...

Hey tina I have a question I have a family member that worked for me that got charged w touching her .We went to court he was found not guilty then we went to a juery trial with a civil case.And we lost for the sum of 320.000 dollars the filling is against him self and my corperaton trading as the reateraunt.Well we told to bank rupt the corperation but it look s like my resteraunt is named to

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Va

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it has the paperwork came today cort date was july 19

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the punative damages was 200.000 the award damages wa 100.000 and 20.000 for v false imprisonment also the girl was 17 at the time

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
7/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Let me clarify here, the judgment is against the employee, the corp that owns the restaurant, anyone or thing else here?The restaurant in an LLC or S corp.and you want to file Chapter 11 here to fold the business, is that correct, just trying to understand here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The employee and corp and corp is llc

So you can file Chapter 11 here and the judgment would be part of that and discharged during the Chapter 11. You can open a new restaurant here under a new LLC and the creditors can only get at any assets here the LLC owns.Long term this is your option if you cannot pay the judgment.Thats why you open the restaurant as an LLC for this very reason to protect yourself individually.I think Chapter 11 may be your next step as the lawyer indicated to you.Its pretty common in such situations like this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.