Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked for target for 15 years and I was fired because I

Customer Question
Hello, My name is *****...
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I worked for target for 15 years and I was fired because I found a wallet in a cart and returned the wallet and took the money out of it. I felt really bad so I returned the money to asset protection and told them what I did and 2-3 weeks later I was fired even though I returned the money the same day. Is there anything I can do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: They have no union and I was working part time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I filed a appeal with target but that didn't change anything, I am very sorry for what I did and have not done any thing else bad in the 15 years
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 3 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Linda,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure. I'd like to welcome you as a new member of the site. Please remember that the experts on site that assist you are not site employees and we are only paid for our help when you rate our service to you.

Unfortunately, because you were an employee at will with Target, and you violated the law, with a customer of the store being the victim---despite the fact that you returned the money, Target was within its legal right to terminate you. There is no legal recourse available that would allow you to force Target to re-hire you. and because you were let go for cause, I suspect you realize that you do not qualify for unemployment.

At this point about all you can do is seek employment elsewhere and hope that a new employer will give you the second chance that you deserve.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney