Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

My company received a "sorry we missed you" on a certified

Customer Question

My company received a "sorry we missed you" on a certified letter in the mail from a past employee's lawyer (we were not available to sign for it - didn't refuse, just wasn't delivered). They did, likely accidentally, send it to me uncertified a few days prior so I know the contents and it's all bullshit claim that I don't really have time for. Am I legally obligated to go pick up the letter?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: Yes my attny recommended doing some preliminary research he is not a litigator though
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No It's simply a "request to discuss" the employee's dismissal - which was simply due to the fact that we didn't need him anymore. We are a company of under 20 employees
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: I don't actually know the different between "at will" or full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, maybe just cost/pricing on your service?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is no, you are not legally obligated to go pick it up. The only time that you would be under any kind of obligation to do anything as if you received a summons in a complaint for a lawsuit. In this case, it appears strongly that the attorney is looking to resolve this case informally without going to court. I would do what your attorney suggested and do some preliminary research as to what's going on. This means collecting that you're documentation regarding the employee and just reviewing it again to make sure that there are no issues of discrimination, the employee was terminated properly, and paid all of the necessary wages pursuant to your state’s law. After that, you may want to just send an email to the other attorney so that way you can keep all the Communications in writing. None the less, if you don't feel like you need to speak with the attorney thing you don't need to speak with the attorney. There's no legal obligation for you to do so.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?