Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

Why do potential employer ask if I was terminated or not,

Customer Question

Why do potential employer ask if I was terminated or not
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: San Jose ca
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't remember ber exact date of my previous employers and I wrote estimate. Is there a website for employers to check my work history. Can they check as well the cause of termination
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Employers ask whether you were terminated in order to determine if you ever had problems with an employer, which can be a predictor of whether you will have problems with them. Unfortunately, there is no website on which you can check your work history. The best source of information is your tax returns, which if you don't have you can request from the IRS on their website. Employers are always free to contact prior employers to ask about the reason for a termination. Not all prior employers are willing to reveail this information but that is just a matter of company policy. No law prohibits them from doing so.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....