How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 34941
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a service dog for PTSD and I went into a dollar

Customer Question

I have a service dog for PTSD and I went into a dollar general and was asked to leave because I wouldn't show her my paperwork. I have gone through them to try and get the problem solved and talk to somebody about it and have got no response. What actions can I take against them?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They company has supposedly has done two reports and was going to have somebody call me and I haven't heard from anybody
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: HR I think. They said that the district manager and then the regional manager was going to call me and still nothing.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: If your talking about the person that asked me to leave I would say full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

I am truly sorry for this dilemma. If the store is denying you entry because of your service animal? That is a violation of federal law. You can report this to the department of justice. They will investigate, and can issue a fine to the business for violation of federal law

You can actually file this complaint online here

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding