P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

I have a service dog for PTSD and I went into a dollar

Customer Question

I have a service dog for PTSD and I went into a dollar general and was asked to leave because I wouldn't show her my paperwork. I have gone through them to try and get the problem solved and talk to somebody about it and have got no response. What actions can I take against them?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They company has supposedly has done two reports and was going to have somebody call me and I haven't heard from anybody
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: HR I think. They said that the district manager and then the regional manager was going to call me and still nothing.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: If your talking about the person that asked me to leave I would say full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am truly sorry for this dilemma. If the store is denying you entry because of your service animal? That is a violation of federal law. You can report this to the department of justice. They will investigate, and can issue a fine to the business for violation of federal law

You can actually file this complaint online here

https://www.ada.gov/complaint/

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil