Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I was wondering what rights a person has in regards to a

Customer Question

I was wondering what rights a person has in regards ***** ***** job. The situation is that I have been extremely stressed because of another employee. I talked about everything with HR. The stress and anxiety is causing me to have flatulance at work without me knowing it. I cannot smell it but the other employees can. Can an employers terminate me because of this? Can I keel my job? I feel that this may have ruined my body for future jobs aspects. Help!
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: HR and direct manager know
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe that is it
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Has a medical professional told you that your problem is linked to stress from your job?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

There can be protections in place under the Americans with Disabilities Act but you have to know more about your situation before you can determine what, if any, rights you have. An employer is free to terminate someone if something the employee is doing is disruptive to the other employees. In fact, in most states, the employer can terminate an employee for any reason at all or for no reason. One of the few exceptions is that if the employee has a disability and makes a request to accommodate their disability then an employer may be required to do so.

Your next step should be to 1) make an appointment with a physician to determine exactly what is causing the problem and 2) contact a local attorney who does employment law and meet with them to discuss tactics to buy you some time with your employer.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.