Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a bartender and I have a question about tips and how

Customer Question
they are reported. I make...
I am a bartender and I have a question about tips and how they are reported. I make $3.00 an hour but mostly earn through tips. My question. Normally on a 35 to 40 hour work week the tips listed on my pay stub show about $200 to $225 a week. About April to tips listed were way up to over $300 to $350 a week,which brought her tak home pay about $40 less per pay period. I asked my employer why and they still have not given me an answer. Two days ago I was fired foe a very minor infraction .I need to know if my asking about the tip situation had anything to do with it.Thank you
JA: Were these felony or misdemeanor charges? Do the allegations have a bearing on job fitness?
Customer: No felony or misdemenor charges.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything else
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley
It would be nearly impossible to determine whether or not your question with regards ***** ***** tips would be the reason for your firing. I am going to guess that you are an at-will employee and they do not need to give you a reason as to why they let you go. It does seem odd that the tips in April all the sudden jumped up and I guess in May and June went back to their regular level. You are certainly within your right to ask for an accounting with regards ***** ***** tips. However, without them giving you a direct answer Regarding why they let you go, I would not be able to know why they let you go. At this point you could apply for unemployment or look for another job as well
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer