Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I think that I am about to be terminated due to a

Customer Question
conversation that I supposedly had...
I think that I am about to be terminated due to a conversation that I supposedly had. However, I can't even remember the conversation and they will not even tell me who the accuser is or if anyone witnessed this. I have an excellent record and have been with the Company for almost 30 years. Can they do this? Is there anything that I can say to them to prevent this from happening? I am in a state of shock...
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They allege that the conversation was maybe against Company policy and I am in Management
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
The conversation that they alleged I had was the following: "I do not agree withthe discipline that the Company is giving to this individual. However it is out of my hands. I do not want to deliver it and so they may fire me because I am in an at will state".
I think they are trying to get rid of me because I am 67 years old and they want a turnover to younger employees. Also I just filed an OJI. And also they are about to offer a buy out package...
7/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

You have a right to view your employment file in your state. What I'd suggest is you get a copy of that, review it and take it to an attorney if you find anything suspicious. Further, in your state, as in most states, at will employee can be terminated without much of any due process (i.e, without an investigation, or even the reason for termination being correct). If your file shows no reason or a fabricated reason , however, for termination, the you can make a case for age discrimination.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Right now there is an "investigation" being done. They have called me in again tomorrow and will be asking me the same question that they did in the first meeting - "what do I remember about this conversation on a hotel van", then they give me just snippets of the conversation and stare at me. Is there anything that I can say that may intimidate them like they are trying to intimidate me?

With regard to investigations, there isn't much the employee can do in that phase of the matter (there isn't even the right to know why an investigation is occuring) but the employee should take a few steps to insure a fair investigation. First, the employee should request and review a copy of his/her personnel file. This may give the employee some background and/or contain the allegations against the employee. Next, the employee should try to gater as much information as possible about a) what is being alleged and by whom, b) who if anyone is a witness and what they are alleging, and c) what will be the protocol/procedure for the investigation and how long will it take.

Next, take some time to think about facts that you believe are relevant to the matter - what bolsters your side of the story, what is the backgound of the matter, what facts may hurt you, are the witnesses and alleging person being truthful - if not what disproves their allegations. When you've exhausted our recollection, write yourself a timeline of events (for your eyes only). Ultimately, you may want to distill this background into facts that you believe show your innocense in the matter. You will want to be sure you bring such a list with you if and when you are interviewed about the matter. Investigations vary in time length and scope. So it may take some time for you to have a result in the matter.

One you have a result - which will range from no finding of guilt to termination of employment, you'll want to then inquire how this will affect future employment (whether it be with this employer or another) - will the matter be in your file, will managment tell others about the result. The employer may also allow you to place your version of facts in the personnel file. Ultimately you'll want to mitigate the damage to your reputation as much as possible. That can range from asking the employer not to place the contents in your file to suing the alleging party for defamation and slander. Most employers these days will not as a matter of practice place the results in the file or give any reference at all as a matter of practice for fear of being sued.

Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 3 months ago

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer