Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I became suddenly very ill last year and was out of work for

Customer Question

I became suddenly very ill last year and was out of work for about 3 months. I am paid straight commission and realize they owed me nothing for while I was out, however, when I came back, they reduced my hours to 3 days. I am unable to make a living working 3 days. I have asked for my time back but told no.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I was working 4 full days before I became ill, which I no longer am.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was also replaced while I was gone and told I'd get my job back, but it did not happen.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

How many employees does your company have, and how long were you employed there when you fell ill? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately' the company has gone down to about 8 employees. I had been there 10 years and was top producer when this happen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is he able to give me an answer. Or with that few employees, I dont have a case?

Thank you. Unfortunately, with so few employees, none of the laws prohibiting disability disability or providing protected job leave would typically apply to your employment. This means that, while unfair to reduce your hours, it would not be illegal for them to do so under the circumstances. I truly wish I could tell you otherwise, but your best recourse may be to find another job if you cannot convince your employer to increase your hours or pay. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....