Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I've been an ER Nurse for 36 years without patient

Customer Question

I've been an ER Nurse for 36 years without patient complaint. I've also worked in supervisory position. My current place of employment is going to fire me tomorrow. They gave me my 90- day review after 60 days and the review was excellent. Following the review I was told that there were patient complaints about me talking about God. (If I start an IV or draw blood and the patient says something like, "That didn't hurt," I'll say, "Thank God." My colleagues often say "Thank God" or "Oh my God" without thought. I was never shown patient complaints and believe a colleague complained. I was also told that some people thought I might have a hearing problem. Using that excuse that sent me to employee health who said my hearing had a mild to moderate loss. I've never had a patient complaint in 36 years. Now in two - three months I've had multiple complaints in and ER that averages 10-15 patients (total) during a 12 hour night shift?? I've been total that the audio tests, not given by an audiologist by the way, says that my "hearing loss" is below my job requirements.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time. There is a union but I am not a union member
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe my employer tipped their hand too early and now to avoid "Religious discrimination" consequences they went after this "hearing problem" that I din't know I had. We are closing on a house tomorrow. Not only am I losing my job and wages, but 36 years of a pristine reputation is going to be ruined. I am 61 years old.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Expert Justin replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Is there a specific hearing requirement for your position? If so, is that documented anywhere (such as an employee handbook)?