Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My union talked me into resigning from my job of 18yr I feel

Customer Question

my union talked me into resigning from my job of 18yr I feel like this was discrimination, should I file a law suit?
JA: Was the discrimination based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin?
Customer: Race and gender
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time,
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Why do you feel that this is discrimination? Are they doing this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin? What was the reason the union used to ask you to resign?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I a very miner incident with my bus, and I forgot to feel out a report, but this was so minor I don't feel like it should have coast me my job
Thank you for your reply.
So what is the basis you are claiming discrimination on? They discriminated against you for what reason (age/race/sex/disability/national origin)?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not just that I have bin the only African American female
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
With that company and I've been under duress for a long time
Thank you for your reply.
In order to pursue a claim for discrimination, you have to prove it was your race (or age/sex/disability/national origin) that was the ONLY basis for them talking you into resigning and it had nothing to do with this alleged minor violation of failure to report an incident. If you have the evidence proving this, such as the fact the employer never terminated any other employees who failed to submit an incident report and the union never sought their resignation, then your next step is filing a complaint with the EEOC (http://www.eeoc.gov) and having them investigate the employer as well as the union. They have to issue a right to sue letter regarding the conduct to allow you to proceed to court.
You would need to sue BOTH the employer and the union and seek your damages if you are able to show the ONLY reason this happened was your race/sex/age.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.