Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was denied unemployment benefits the first time I applied

Customer Question
--- then I appealed that...
I was denied unemployment benefits the first time I applied --- then I appealed that decision and was denied a second time. I should have sought council the first round ---- my mistake. I submitted my resignation after my supervisor gave me an ultimatum of either work or do my internship. He refused to work with me on my hours ---- this after the director who hired me said that they would work with me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I accepted a position in the state of Virginia, but the claim is filed through North Dakota, because I have 18 months of UAI benefits to draw on from there.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What specifically are you referring to?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was hired in June, and signed all the paperwork to include their flex time policy, but I gave it no thought because the director who hired me knew I was going to be completing an internship --- I gave it no thought.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/23/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

I was employed for the Amherst County Department of Social Services in Amherst, VA until last May when I was forced to resign because of my internship for my MSW program. They refused to work with me on my hours (this is after the fact ---- when I was hired they knew, and said that they would work with me when I began my internship). I applied for UIB in North Dakota, because that is the last place I was employed for 18 months, and I was denied, then I appealed their decision, and was soundly denied again. The entire basis of my appeal rests on the fact that Susan Mays, the director, knew when she hired me that an internship was coming. I signed the employee handbook with the flex times listed on there for four 10 hour work days and gave it no thought. I took Susan Mays at her word, and then she apparently changed her mind about this. Please advise me on any recourse I may have with my UIB claim. Best regards, Roxanne

Thank you for the information. However, I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

You will send my information to another employment attorney? And they will contact me later?
Tina, Lawyer