Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to know if it is possible for an employer to…

Customer Question
Hello, I would like...

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible for an employer to change a contract after it has been signed. For example I was given a contract for July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 with a pay increase and new title and today I was told "I'm sorry the CEO didn't approve it" We can't offer you that" It doesn't feel right. As an hourly employee should I expect to get compensated for what I signed despite their change of mind. I have a signed contract that was agreed upon prior to the CEO not approving.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sure. California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was offered a 40% increase and that has dropped to an 18% because the CEO doesn't agree. Can they disperse it even if I don't agree to the pay cut

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Employment Law
7/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 12 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were provided a contract and took an offer after signing that contract provided by the employer, then the employer cannot change that contract during the term stated in the contract. Since the employer provided the contract, their agreement is deemed tacit or implied since they provided it to you and wrote it to their terms.
Unless your contract says it can be changed by the employer at any time, they must honor the contract until the end date and if they refuse and now are trying to change it, you have grounds to sue the employer for breach of contract.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.