Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

This question is for a labor attorney. Can I be required to

work more than 40 hours...
This question is for a labor attorney. Can I be required to work more than 40 hours a week? I am in healthcare.
7/17/2017
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Do you have a written employment contract restricting the number of hours you can work?

Are you salaried or paid hourly? Are you exempt from overtime rules?

I don't believe I have any contract. I am paid hourly. I do not believe I am exempt from overtime rules.
When I exceed 40 hours per week I do get paid time and a half.

Without a written employment agreement specifying otherwise, you can be scheduled for as many hours as the employer needs, but you have to be paid overtime for your work time exceeding 40 hrs in a week.

Rats. I recently been diagnosed with hypertensive crisis. My numbers are through the roof. My doctor thinks that I should reduce my work hours. I'm currently scheduled for 50 hours per week plus call. Do you know if there's a way to reduce that?
have recently

If there are 15 or more employees you can make a written request for a "reasonable accommodation" under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Thank you!!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Absolutely.
Loren, Lawyer