Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am seeking an answer to a NJ State Pension question. I am

Good Morning, I am...
Good Morning, I am seeking an answer to a NJ State Pension question. I am currently enrolled in the New Jersey PERS (Public Employees Retirement system) and am currently working. I am 53 years old and have been in the pension system for 20.5 years. I would like to retire in October of this year. However since I do not have 25 years in for early retirement I would like to purchase four years. I am having difficulty understanding the eligibility requirements for purchase. I could set up an appointment and take an entire day to travel for this appointment but the nearest appointment is several weeks from now. I do not have any other public service prior to my current service but was employed part time while I was raising my child. I used some calculator that they have on the site NJ PERS and I calculate 36,000 to purchase. Not a problem...but I do not understand the eligibility aspects of any of it. Again, my goal is to retire and collect early, take the penalty, but I do not have the early retirement service of 25 years. Which I am trying to see if I can purchase. So my question is: Can I purchase four years of service without having worked in the public sector for those four years?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: oh yes, the reason I am reaching out to this forum is because I am meeting with a financial advisor for planning tomorrow and would like to know this "unknown" so we can figure an income stream. Additionally, I have called the Pension board and spoke with m Hurman resources and they do not know or even understand what I am talking about.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: like what
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cant think of anything off hand
Well just one more thing. If I cant purchase credit I guess I am being held hostage until I am sixty years old.
Sorry, I shouldn't have written that.
I know I can withdrawal.
also, i work for a nj municipality that is in the state pension system. this is where i have worked for the last 2o years
I do have an additional inquiry once we get this answer. I can open another case if that is what is required.
7/17/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have any previous years of creditable government service that would have been eligible for credit in the NJ system? That is the key here. You said you had no prior government service and that means you cannot just buy years. Under NJ law, in order to buy the years in the pension, you must have had some type of creditable service in government employment for those years you are seeking to buy. So, just because an employee is 4 years short of their 25 years does not mean they can just buy those 4 years and retire, they have to have 4 years of qualified service in some other government employment to buy those 4 years.
So, if you did not have prior government service years, you cannot buy the time.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Thank you that is what I got out of it also. So then that means i would not qualify to take early retirement either. Oh Yuck!
Thank you for your reply.
That is correct, you would not qualify to take the early retirement at this time, since you have no creditable service to purchase.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney