Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Without a contract can a person be fired for working for a

similar organization, saying it is...
Without a contract can a person be fired for working for a similar organization, saying it is a conflict of interest
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: IL It is a 501c3 organization.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I have worked on a 1099 for the organization and took on work with another nfp that does similar work. They let me go saying I couldn't work for another 501c3
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is pretty clear
7/17/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

As a general rule, employment in all states but Montana is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Working for a similar organization is not a form of legally protected conduct. This is to say that while perhaps unfair, an employer can terminate an employee for this reason. Doing so does not violate any law.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.
I received excellent and prompt answers to my questions. This is a great service!

I"m very glad I could answer your question! Have a pleasant rest of your evening and best of luck.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer